Sunday 20 May 2007

Just another ordinary day at work

Today I had one of the most charming customers ever. Let me tell you about that nice old fellow: Right when he got in I knew that he was to be treated in a ‘special’ way. He didn’t greet nor did he ask if there was a table available for him. Instead, he just went straight to one of our biggest tables which we usually reserve for groups of five or six. He wasn't even sitting yet when he ordered some white wine. “Ok” I said and off I went to pass on the order to our barmaid. A second later when I walked past the man’s table he already grunted: “I ordered some wine!” – “Yes, I know” I replied (still smiling) “it’s on the way”. But he goes “So where is it?” At this stage I felt like becoming very rude, but then decided not to and calmed him down by repeating that his wine was just on the way.

I knew that this guy would cause some more trouble and I was quite right about that. And I really don’t know why, but I always tend to mess up things when I really shouldn’t. He ordered a small Wienerschnitzel. It was a rather busy day, so I forgot the ‘small’-part and simply typed Wienerschnitzel into the computer, which I started to regret as soon as I brought him his Schnitzel. “Is that a small one?” he snarled at me. Bummer! No, it’s normal size. So I just told him that “never mind, you’ll certainly pay for a small one”. As if he hadn’t understood me correctly he went on “I ordered a small one! Is that a small one? No? Well take this away and bring me a small one then!!” – “No, you’ll just have that one. If you don’t want to, you don’t have to eat the whole thing, ok? I’m very sorry, it was my mistake. But as I said, you’ll only pay for a small Wiener!” Believe me, that old man really gave me a hard time! He shut up eventually but not before asking me to bring him another plate so he could put half of the Schnitzel away. No, I’m not kidding…But hey, wouldn’t it be boring without customers like that? There are always new challenges waiting for me at work ;)

No comments: