Sunday 1 April 2007

Ant invasions and other troubles


Oli, my flat mate, just came into my room: "Astrid, Astrid my room's invaded...by ants! How can I possibly get rid of them? They are crawling in from the window and now they are like everywhere!!" So I followed him into his room to check out the situation and help him fight the evil. But you know, as hard as I tried, I just couldn't make out any ants. "Right there at the window, can't you see?" After examining his window closely, I could find indeed a couple of ants, two or three at the most.. "There were loads of them, really!!" Yeah right...but I nodded and tried to take his problem seriously. I told him to get an anti-ants spray or suchlike and with that the problem was solved.

But we've already had to deal with worse problems than ants: A few weeks ago, it was Faschingsdienstag (is there a translation for that??), I was woken early in the morning by loud voices in the hallway . "What the hell's going on", I thought ,"can't they be quiet?!" I was really annoyed since I hadn't had much sleep but I got even more annoyed when someone knocked, no not knocked, hammered against my door. Martin barged in: "Astrid, get up we have a problem!!" Still half asleep I staggered into the hallway to see what kind of problem we had. And damn, we DID have a problem! The bathroom was flooded, the toilet was flooded and Martin and Oli were desperately trying to stopp the water from running into the hall by piling up towles at the doors. Martin explained: "I was having a shower when I suddenly noticed that instead of draining off, water was actually coming out of the sink. And there's also something wrong with the toilet...it's rather disgusting, and it smells... " More and more water kept coming out of the drain and we had no idea how to stop it.


So next thing we did was waking Anna: "Emergency!! Anna get up!" (she wasn't pleased either..) and then we went down to our landlady to ask for help. She told us to call a plumber and gave us a number. "Well, I'm sorry, we don't have enough men at the moment. It's gonna take about two hours till we get there.." was the plumber's response, but no way, I wasn't gonna put up with that!! "Listen, in an hour our entire flat will be flooded and that's gonna cost us a whole lot of money! Our floor, our furniture, everything will be ruined, so we need someone to get here right now!!"...ten minutes later they were here. We told them exactly what had happened and then they started dismounting the toilet and let me tell you something: Being a plumber must be the worst job ever!!!..I do not want to go into detail...

After about an hour everything was fixed. Well...not quite. The mess that was left behind was incredible. The whole bathroom and toilet was covered with a brownish, stinky liquid...DISGUSTING!!!!!! Martin, who actually caused the whole trouble, was off to work- so it was up to us to clean the whole mess... First thing we did was going to DM to buy plastic gloves, all sorts of cleaning products and most importantly: a huge bottle of disinfection spray!! I don't know how long it took us to clean everything up and I dearly hope our drain won't ever be clogged again...Seriousy, I hope none of you will ever experience a thing like that! Believe me, it's not how you want to be spending your Faschingsdienstag...

1 comment:

betty030187 said...

I love reading your blog, especially the entries about what´s going on in your flat. Must be very funny there... well,most of the time, I guess.